Salvage Car Search

Home Buy Sell Parts News Motoring Directory FAQs Contact

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is a salvage car?

A: The word salvage covers a variety of things, from accident damage, cars which have been stolen but then later recovered, previously damaged cars, finance repossesed, cars which have a fault of some kind eg. An electrical problem, and cars which need a little tlc either mechanical or cosmetic or both.

Q: Can anyone buy a salvage car?

A: Yes.

Q: Are there any special checks that a salvage car requires?

A: Yes. Some accident-damaged cars will require a VIC.

Q: What is a VIC?

A: VIC stands for Vehicle Identity Check, it was introduced to help reduce vehicle crime, it is intended to deter criminals from disguising stolen vehicles as written off ones.

Q: How will I know if my car requires a VIC?

A: When an insurance company writes off a vehicle, they assign it a category A, B, C or D, if your car comes under category A, B or C, then it will require a VIC. Cars in category D do not require a VIC. (please note cars issued with either an A or B stamp cannot legally be put back on the road)

Q: If my car passes a VIC does this mean it is roadworthy?

A: No it does not. The VIC only makes sure the information the DVLA has is correct i.e. make, model, colour and engine numbers all match.

Q: Where do I take my car to get a VIC?

A: There are many testing stations around the country. Please go to the Motoring Directory section on our Home page for a full list of testing stations.